God is so good!

As a child, the only memories I have of EVER going to church was when I would walk to Catechism with my cousin and some friends after school when we were all students at Roosevelt Elementary.  The Our Lady of Guadalupe church was, in reality, only about 4 blocks from the school, but it took us about an hour to get there!  We would stop at the playground for a little while and then we'd play in the sandbox or play tag on the school grounds.  When one of us would remember we needed to hurry up, we'd start walking..laughing and talking the whole time.  Across the street and about half a block down, was the potato chip factory that always smells sooo good and call it luck, coincidence, or whatever, but they ALWAYS had fresh-made potato chips on the days we had Catechism! :)  They sold the huge paper grocery-store bags of hot, yummy chips for .25 and we LOVED them!  We would always save some for Father Valdez.  Looking back, I'm sure it wasn't very many that we would save for him, but to us back then, it was alot.  I remember the day of my First Communion.  I remember getting in trouble because I was getting ready at my aunt's house and I was eating marshmallow cream and got some on my dress.  I had never eaten that before and I couldn't get enough of it!  I have no memory of going to church after that until I was about 13.  My best friend, Eleanor, invited me to go with her and her family to her church and I liked it.  I remember one day she invited me again because they were having Up With People perform that night and I was really glad I went.  I had such a good time!  After that, I would get dressed up and go to church with her family once in a while and I always enjoyed it.
I didn't go to church again until I did my Confirmation because I had to to be able to have my wedding but never really continued going to church after that.
After Marko was born and I moved to Amarillo, I started going to church every Sunday.  I think I did that because, since neither of my parents ever took me to church, it was so important to me to have Marko learn of God's love for him and for Marko to learn to love God with all his heart.  It was also something I desperately needed for myself too.   When Gabriella was born, I wanted the same for her, of course, and I cannot describe how amazing my babies made me feel when they learned their prayers and I would hear them pray before going to bed.  Nobody had ever taught me to pray as a child.  When they went to preschool, they went to St. Peter's and I thank God that they had that opportunity to have gone to such a wonderful preschool.  Miss Mary and Miss Terri, their preschool teachers, along with Father Rocco,  are amazing and good.
When the kids were going to Cathechism to prepare for their First Communion and Confirmation, I would go with them every Tuesday night and we LOVED going.  Lynette even started going with us for her Confirmation.  I would go to the adult classes and the kids would go with the appropriate age group.  After Lynette started going, she and I would go together to the adult class.  We really missed cathechism after the kids completed their classes.
Anyway, I had to take the looong route to get to my topic :)  .......Even though I didn't get any religious education during most of my growing up years, my faith is very strong now as an adult, and looking back, God was always with me..I just didn't know it.  Well anyway...I normally take Lynette and Marko to school before going to school myself, and I usually leave west Greeley by 7:30 at the latest and get to school by 8:10-8:15.  Well, on Wednesday, I left late.  I left my HOUSE at 8:07.
1.  First of all, my school is in Ft. Collins on the OTHER side of town (of course!)
2.  School starts at 8:30
3.  I had a midterm exam that day.
I prayed to God my normal, everyday prayers and I also asked begged Him to please make every stoplight that I got to be GREEEEEN and to please not let me run into any police on the way.  Guess what?!  I got to school at 8:28 and ran like crazy from the parking lot to class.  I really did get every single light green!  I felt like Bruce Almighty!!  God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs