WTH??

Today's lecture in my journalism class touched on law and ethics as a reporter, the First Amendment, etc.  It was a pretty common lecture for that class.
From your very first journalism class your professor will start pounding Responsible Journalist "rules" into students' heads, such as what is legal vs. illegal while reporting and also what is ethical and what is not.
The professor mentioned (again) how ethics aren't "laws," but rather "what you ought to do."  She used the classic example of how unethical it is to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
I seriously thought I was in kindergarten again when one student raised their hand and said "You mean you can't yell 'Fire!' in a crowded theater?"
There were giggles as the professor said "No."

The professor continued with her lecture and the same student again raised their hand and said "Umm.........So......I can't yell 'Fire!' in a crowded theater even if there IS a fire?"

GA!!

I wish I were kidding, but unfortunately I am not.

I hope your day has been better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs