George, where are you??

First of all, let me clarify that I have a very high tolerance for pain.  I always have.  Well, many years ago when I had my first wisdom tooth pulled, I was in a lot of pain because the damned tooth was growing sideways, right into my cheek!
It was very painful.

I hadn't lived in the city long, so I didn't have a dentist yet.  Every dentist I contacted couldn't see me for at least three weeks.  There was no way I was going to wait that long.  Then, someone at work told me that their dentist could possibly see me sooner, so I called on my break and was told by the man that answered the phone that I could come in in an hour and a half.  I was so excited!  I did the happy dance right there at work.

I remember I had a hard time finding the address and after driving around the block a few times, I finally found it.  It was a tiny hole in the wall and the door had the dentist's name on it.  I should have listened to the little voice in my head that told me to drive away when I saw the name.  I actually typed it in this post, but then took it out because I don't want people to google him. HA!  I'll just call him George.
Anyway, I showed up and I was greeted by this strange little man who I thought was there to clean the office.  I told him I had an appointment, and he told me to have a seat in the dentist's chair.  I kind of wondered where everyone was.  When I say everyone, I mean a receptionist, patients, a dental assistant... a dentist, maybe.
I again started having second thoughts when I asked for the paperwork I needed to fill out and was told that I could do that later (!)   Ummm ok.  Good thing I don't have allergies he should probably know about BEFOREHAND, huh?
And have I mentioned that all of the equipment in the office was hot pink?!  Yeah.  Weird.
I would have walked right out of there if I wasn't in such pain though, so I stayed.
This little man WAS the dentist (at least, I think he was..) and he started to pry my tooth out.  He was about half way done when the phone rang.  He suddenly stopped working on my tooth and said "I'll be right back!"  And he left.

REALLY??!!

I remember I had a mouth full of bloody slobber and nowhere to spit it. (sorry for being so graphic).

So that's why I never saw a receptionist...because there wasn't one.

I waited and waited for him to come back and finally had to get up to look for something to spit into and I couldn't even find a trash can, so I ended up spitting in something (not sure what it was), but it was part of the hot pink equipment thing dentists use.

He finally came back and finished taking my tooth out.
Thank God.
George told me how much I owed him, I paid him and left.  I didn't realize until later that I never filled any paperwork out.

About a week after I had it taken out, my friends ordered pizza and I ended up getting a whole sausage ball wedged into the hole where my wisdom tooth had been! I'll spare you the details of how I managed to get that out..

All of that to tell you that I have had a week from hell. I have been miserable. Seriously, it's been one of the toughest weeks of my LIFE. It has been so tough, in fact, that I have actually cried myself to sleep a couple of nights. And I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The reason for my misery is that the remaining three wisdom teeth are kicking my a$$.  I have taken approximately 30 acitaminaphen pills and about 25 ibuprophen pills in the last 5 days.  The pain is so bad sometimes I take 4 ibuprophen at a time.  I've even chewed the aweful-tasting pills in an attempt to get faster relief.  Not pretty. 
I finally went to the dentist today and learned that the reason my mouth is in such pain is because the other three wisdom teeth need to come out NOW.
I ended up having to make the appointment for 8 months from now. Well, actually, my appointment is next Tuesday, but I promise I am not exaggerating when I say it will feel as though it were 8 months away.
I ended up making the appointment next week because this is my last week of classes and next week is finals week.  I don't have a final on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll be ok for the final I do have on Wednesday.  Fingers crossed.

Just a little FYI: Did you know that if you gargle with tequila it helps dull the pain?  I may or may not have gargled a few times while writing this post (:

Man, I'd give just about anything to see George and his hot pink equipment right about now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs